Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Small world...and a strange one...

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    I guess if I scrolled up, I would have known the answers to my questions
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Small world...and a strange one...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    The redhead's always telling me I scrolled up...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    Too bad we don't have a spell checker. On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing.

  4. #14
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    The A7 looks REALLY old - haven't seen the 511 mounted like that since the 50's.

    The double direct-radiator box looks like an 8256, or and 8254...can't tell from here.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    The A7 looks REALLY old - haven't seen the 511 mounted like that since the 50's.
    It's new enough to have a horizontal port, and not two vertical ports, Though. Any idea when the port switch took place?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    Old Guy,

    From Altec Pro: http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Systems.pdf


    Cheers, Marshall.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Small world...and a strange one...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    The A7 looks REALLY old - haven't seen the 511 mounted like that since the 50's.

    The double direct-radiator box looks like an 8256, or and 8254...can't tell from here.

    You've piqued my interest Todd...I pulled out my blue prints and started looking...I don't have the boxes in front of me, but it looks like they fit the 50's-early 60's prints...

    I assumed early 70's just cause of the drivers...416-8A with new frame has to be early 70's, 802D is also that era.

    I'm enjoying this...even if I am in trouble. The only thing worse than being old is being old and bored.

    The path you have started me on is that maybe it's a set of theater cast offs that were re-loaded in the early 70's.

    I was aware of the gentleman they belonged to but didn't really know him...unfortunately he is no longer with us. My female roommate mentioned earlier was friends with his wife but she was an ex by that time.

    He owned the store I used to work at a few years prior to me working there. This would have been early 70's so I suspect he used the A7's for PA...he was also a performer.

    Does anybody know if ALL the 70's boxes had the reinforcing bars on the back? I know the MI ones did...these don't have them...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    2- Altec 8127 boxes...each has a pair of Altec 3127's which I am not familiar with... I dunno nuthin' bout 3127's I was hoping one of the younger fellows would chime in....[/url]
    8127 = 1.5 cu.ft. vented cab loaded with single 3127 woofer
    8227 = 3 cu.ft. vented cab loaded with two 3127 woofers

    Both systems are 3dB down at 70Hz.

    The 3127 is a very good 12" mid-range woofer. It has high sensitivity (97dB 1m) and rated for 250W pink noise (AES), 500W program/power amp, and 1000W peaks. The 8227, with stacked woofers, offered enough vertical control to get close to the vertical coverage of an MRII horn at 500 or 800 Hz. I think the 3127 woofer could also be an excellent speaker for a guitar amp.
    Experience is Knowledge

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Small world...and a strange one...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    Thank you kindly...I appreciate the 3127 info.

    I'm thinking about doing a small pub system. The 3127 sounds like a good candidate for 100-1200 Hz or so... I think I may DIY the single boxes though, just so I can move them easier.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Small world...and a strange one...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Small world...and a strange one...

    Pics of the guts:

    1

    2

    3

    I think Todd was right the boxes are older, the guts have to be early 70's....can't find any 391xxx codes without popping covers...

    But a 416-8A with new frame dates it within a few years. As does 802D.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.